Monday, May 14, 2012

Census

On the seventy-fifth anniversary of the first Xran descent from orbit a census was taken. The empire, such as it was, included the population centers of The Grove, Two Rivers Outpost and Canyon Valley Outpost. The majority of the population could be found in one or the other of these humex cities, but there were also citizens on any number of wagon trains between Two Rivers and Canyon Valley conducting commerce mainly, and, otherwise traveling to visit friends and relatives. The same applied to the river rafters between The Grove and Two Rivers. Finally to complete the census, a tally was made of the trail constructors and the forward planners working to chart and construct the endless trail to Nexra.
The census was broken down into (1) location (total, 80,000) and (2) intelligence factors. Intelligence factors were subtitled (a) Pure humex (2,000), which was to say, citizens undiluted by non-pure humex blood. These included biologically assimilated humex and children of pure humex parents. (b) Para-humex (9,000). These were children of cross humex/human births who showed that they inherited more intelligence from the humex parent. (c) Pre-humex (27,000). These were also children of cross humex/human births who demonstrated less intelligence from their humex parent. And finally (d) the census categorized immigrant humans (42,000) who were or in the process of becoming culturally assimilated into humex society. Aside from the need to identify and specially train the most intelligent pure-humex as leaders, the other categories also had specific and complete training up to each citizen's capacity. This effort by humex institutions continued throughout the life of the citizen. As a result, the society as a whole was happy and productive. This social compact resulted in virtually no crime, and, societal efforts that would have been spent on corrective and incarceritive measures were directed to training its citizens to their highest and best use – to be the best they could be.
During the census, Brin and Lun who had been on the first expeditionary force twenty-five years before were returning to The Grove for the first time since then. They were going back to visit their grandfather, Amda, the first of the humans to be biologically assimilated so many years before. He had been the leader of The Grove for many years but had recently retired from an active leadership role and assumed an elder statesman role. He had been ill for some time and his grandchildren were coming back to look in on him – perhaps for the last time. Amda, though, made a full recovery while his grandchildren were with him, and decided to join them on the way back up river to see the progress that had been made in twenty-five years. He was anxious to see what preparations had been made to continue, with all the necessary due urgency, the journey to Nexra. He would be disappointed with the complacency he would find as well as the alarmingly small percentage of total population that the pure humex represented. As the 'father of this society,' he set out to effect radical changes in the attitude of the settlers - both civic and marital.

10 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I like all this talk of'training' the people, it sounds like post Hitler Germany when a few were making all the decisions for the many.. I probably would have been a rebel type back then if they wouldn't allow me to be who and what I wanted to be.. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A rather harsh assesment indeed of a new society that simply needs 'all hands on deck' in order to create an efficient, productive and (I say) content civilization. That's what institutions of any state provide for - that is to train its people to efficiently contribute to themselves, their families and their society. It is largely the education community in the USA that trains, tests and directs its charges to vocations in which they can best contribute to themselves and society. The story's society just puts more effort into this aspect of society and therefore requires less energy in the corrective and incarcerative institutions. In the story's society, attention to the evolving abilities of the citizen continues for a lifetime as a condition of citizenship. What would you be rebelling against if you were doing what you were best at and being well supported in it? That Hitler reference hurt. M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be rebelling against the fact that I had no choice in what career I pursued.. I may be good at a lot of things but in a free society I can endeavor to be anything I want, no matter if I'm good at it or not. That's the difference. It may not be as efficient a society with me in charge but your potential ,as you put it, would be to exercise your inalienable rights. I know we have evolved way beyond the thinking in your humex world in today's society, right? That's why we have so many problems!! Just who would decide about a person's potential in todays's world??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot scream "Fire" in a crowded movie theatre where there's no fire. From there its just a matter where society as a whole decides to draw freedom's line. Inalienable rights are rights society as whole says they are (tempered by laws, mores, economic realities, etc). In comtemporary reality, the barriers to unmitigated freedom are endless (and may I say sporadic and unevenly applied). In this story's society, the price of belonging to it is to commit to do the best you can with what you have, or, you are free to choose a different society. No one is captive in this story's society. If everyone could do anything they wanted without regard to their social group, anarchy would result.

      Delete
    2. I think our society still believes in freedom of choice, you're remarks are getting more Marxist as we discuss this. Of course we are bound by the laws our society votes on and believes in, last time I looked ,freedom of choice was not against the law unless the choice was unlawful. Anarchy is a copout, you know exactly what I mean and it's not a society without any rules.. Your story is unique in that there are those who are as a group much more intelligent than the rest, and also, there are no other societies to choose from.. I believe socialism is still practiced in parts of the world if individual freedoms offends anyone.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as one has teachers of one sort or another throughout their life including parents, friends, economists, sociologists and psychologists to help one make the right choices, so do the institutions in this society - only they do so more efficiently operating with a consistrnt set of facts (such as one's medical records). To be the best you can be implies happiness with your life. In the story's society, it is the collective and, yes, measured abilities of all the citizens that govern the direction of the story's society. Whereas in some contemporary societies, it is the whim of the powerful few that direct society, as the less powerful are forced to go along for the ride and thererfore have 'less skin in the game.' In the story's society, if the collective abilities of the citizens lean toward agriculture and/or the extraction of copper then that dictates the main thrust of the society and its institutions. With the close attention to the individual's ungoing evolution of abilities and interests, the society is prepared to move in concert with the individual - not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are missing my point or are just too stubborn to admit that we all have certain choices and we are lucky to have them! Even though we may not make the choice that benefits ourselves, much less the majority we are still free to make a choice, the key is we have to be able to accept the responsibility and consequence of that choice. I would like to have read the comment you deleted above. I wish I could understand your liberalist thinking, but it's like Greek to me. No more comments from me, I will continue to read the book with my own perspective.. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I have done is describe this story's society's norms. This is the premise the story lives within. The story's society feels they have the freedom they desire. They are contributing to a great societal goal, family, friends and to themselves. Why impugn sinister motives to this society. This society is flourishing and making great strides on all personal and societal fronts as you can see from your reading. In fact, a pole taken at the time of the census, shows that this view is shared by all of the story's citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I acknowledged a long time ago that the story's society was unique for various reasons, I had the feeling you were taking this philosophy to another level, meaning today's world, sorry if I misjudged you, I promise now really, no more comments. I look forward to the next adventure on Nexra..B

    ReplyDelete